Thoughts, Feelings, Ideas...

Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Mirror

 You won't talk to me

Won't even look at me

Punished for daring to rock the boat

Cut deeply for not bowing to your gods

Since when did you use my weapons against me?


Because when I even approach

When I even indicate

That I might disagree with you

Your shields go up

And I am the enemy

Who cannot be reasoned with and must be fought

And I hate it


The same disease that wracks your bones infects my marrow

Am I any better?

Are we two strands of the same sickness?


Maybe the truth is that we're two sides of the same coin

Maybe we're both letting pride drive us away from the ones we love


And maybe I don't care

Maybe there's a part of me that would rather be right than see you again

And maybe I don't know

Maybe I know there's something wrong but I have no idea how it got this way

And maybe I should let go like you said

Swallow the bitter medicine that we'll never have what we once did

I hate that

But I don't hate you


But I'll never pay the price to have a half-baked solution

It's everything

Or nothing at all

The truth is that everything was never whole

I lied to myself to paint a beautiful picture over an ugly reality

I tried tearing down that facade

Only to find pain

Maybe the lie was better


Because the truth is that you were never happy unless you were on the move

And I was happier the slower my pace became

The truth is that you could only be happy if your dreams came true exactly as you demanded

And I could only be happy when I lied to myself that I never wanted my dreams in the first place

Maybe we're more alike than either of us would care to admit

And I hate that



No comments: