Thoughts, Feelings, Ideas...

Wednesday, May 19, 2021

The Truth

The truth is
I'm scared
Scared I'll get hurt again
Scared I'll hurt someone again
Scared You won't protect my heart
Scared You'll let it happen again

An exercise in faith
Is that all You ask of me?
Should I take a chance
If only to prove that I trust You?
That I'm not afraid You won't protect me?

A step
Even if I'd rather not take it
A path
Even if I don't believe it goes anywhere
A statement of trust
Even if I don't really believe it

The truth is
I'd rather be safe from the possibility of failure
Than risk seeing another promise unfulfilled
I'd rather convince myself that I don't want it
Than risk having it just beyond my fingertips again

The truth is
I'm stubborn
Maybe I think I'm hurting You
Or protecting myself
Maybe deep down, or not so deep
I'm terrified

The truth is
I want to trust You again
Trust You in this
The truth is
You didn't fail me
And I didn't fail You
I was never off Your path
I never shocked or dismayed You
You never let me go
You never stopped guiding my steps

Guide me now
As I place my heart
Back into Your hands once again

No comments: